Saturday 26 March 2011

Liz Earle Review

I'm currently going through a brief bout of insomnia so thought I'd make use of my night owl status and post a quick beauty review of the Liz Earle 3 step facial skincare routine! I used to use Simple Cleanser, Toner, and Moisturiser but have been using that for about 4 years now so thought it would be nice to make a change!
I purchased the Hot Cloth Cleanser, Toner & Moisturiser on the recommendation of a friend (and after much researching online!) and because the 3 step system was on offer on the website http://uk.lizearle.com/?cmp=google_sitebrand&kw=liz+earle+e as part of the 'Springtime Offers' for £41! (this includes 2 cleansers, a toner, 2 x muslin cloths and a moisturiser)
I even got a GORGEOUS free Liz Earle wash bag - which I think is far too pretty to ever make it out of my bedroom (it's currently on my dresser storing all my Liz Earle stuff!)
I love the customer service from the team at Liz Earle - my purchases arrived in a cardboard box individually wrapped in tissue which made me feel so special! I am a sucker for personal little touches like this!
First, the Hot Cloth Cleanser. I don't know about you, but I have heard SO MANY people raving about this product, it's often the first thing that's mentioned whenever the topic of the 'holy grail' of skincare comes up! So I decided to ditch my Simple Cleanser for this beautiful product!
You basically apply the cleanser all over your face, rub it in and then remove it with one of the FREE 100% cotton muslin cloths which come with the set, once you've run it under a hot tap and rung the excess water out of the cloth first. I do this every evening without removing my eye make up first as I've found it to be pretty effective at removing make up and mascara. It's a really nice routine to get into, I often cleanse just before I brush my teeth and then I can tone before night cream and bed (watch this space for a night cream review!)
Overall I really like this product - it smells lovely (very eucalyptus-y), it's a nice creamy consistency (not too heavy) and I honestly think it works better at declogging my skin and removing make up than my previous cleanser. Recommended! It might be a little pricey but I think if you're going to invest in something and be a big spender just once, it should be for skincare! You only get one face!
I've been using up the FREE cleanser tester I received with my order - pictured where it currently lives in my bathroom cupboard! (Yet again a nice touch from the team at Liz Earle that makes you feel like a valued customer even if it's your very first order!) Apparently every order comes with a freebie sample so get ordering!
I really really like the toner - bit expensive for what it is, however it makes your skin feel squeaky clean and has done a better job of cleaning the leftover grime from my skin than anything I've used before! I've been playing around with different skincare routines since I was 11 years old, so trust me when I say this one's a winner!
Onto the Liz Earle Moisturiser (which, by the way, made me feel oh-so-grown up as until now my day moisturiser has always come in a squeezy bottle, I always associate jars with higher end, more mature brands!) I took the test on the brand's website to see what my skin type was and it said I was 'Dry/Sensitive'. No surprises for me there, as I've had extremely sensitive skin since I was a baby, and I do get dry patches on my cheeks and next to my nose in the winter months. However I also sometimes get oily patches on my foreheard, so I often go for sensitive or combination skin products. But Liz Earle's test told me to buy this moisturiser, so I did!
The first time I applied this cream I was seriously impressed - it's very thick in the pot so you only use a tiny bit at a time (I've been using it for almost a month now and you can see that hardly any has gone, very good value for money!), but when you actually come to apply it onto the skin it's quite thin in consistency. I liked the way it felt on my skin and the smell was nice too.
BUT - I'm afraid I will not be recommending this moisturiser. It leaves your face sticky and almost greasy even after leaving it to sink in for half an hour! I never had this with any Simple moisturiser so I am seriously disappointed. Luckily, I use powder mineral foundation which effectively soaks up the excess oil but I shouldn't have to worry about being oily at the beginning of the day because of my moisturiser! I also discovered at the end of the day that my face was shinier than usual, and my forehead was really greasy and oily. I have a fringe so don't wear foundation on my forehead, and the oily issue has never occurred before when using Simple.
Overall the moisturiser was a massive disappointment. For the amount of money charged (this stuff is £17.60 a pot!) I expected much better results, and will be switching back to my Simple Radiance Moisturiser as soon as this pot has been used up (which may be some time!)!

Before I go - a quick word to all you lovely readers!
Please feel free to comment on any of my blog posts with your comments, suggestions, criticisms and recommendations, a bit more interactivity would make my day!
I would also love love LOVE it if you could follow my blog :) & I'm more than happy to return the favour!
xx

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried the 'light' moisturiser? It's so much better and not heavy at all. Comes in a pump rather than a pot.Sometimes the lovely people in John Lewis will give you a free sample of it too.

    I love Liz Earle stuff though, the shampoo is good too and the smell is lush. They are such a lovely team of people, I got a free face scrub (if you ever use it only do it in the shower as the beads go everywhere and I found them throughout the day when I did it over the sink). The eye cream is also really good and not too heavy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just started using these products and I quite like them. I am however yet to see a significant difference in my skin, but after 7days, perhaps a tad too early? The moisturiser I use is the light, which is for combination/oily; it is incredibly light and melts well into the skin. Perhaps give the light one a try??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be trying the light one once my bank balance has recovered from buying this one!
    I would give it a few weeks to notice a difference. I was away for a week and didn't take my Liz Earle with me, instead using my old Simple stuff and I broke out within 2 days :(

    ReplyDelete