Tuesday 11 June 2013

Tuesday Tales #6 - Ten Things I Love About London

Hi guys! So today I thought I would share with you some of the passionate nostalgia that's been bubbling inside me for a couple of weeks, even though I'm still here! If you've read my previous Tuesday Tale posts you may know that I'm moving back up North from the capital in August. It's made me cherish this wonderful city even more while I am still here - so here are Ten Things I Love About London...



1. You get to know world famous landmarks incredibly well, take them for granted and associate them with daily life.
Trafalgar Square reminds me of many misspent drunken evenings and waiting for my night bus home. 

2. You get to know your neck of the woods so well that it feels like home.
A lot of people think you can never feel at home in London but this is wrong. I have lived in three different areas of London, studied in another and worked in three more areas and I know each one like the back of my hand.


3. When tourists ask you for directions in the street, you know what to say to help them on their way.
Do not underestimate how smug this can make you feel.

4. You are able to walk at three times the speed of someone living in any other English city.
Even when you're not in London, you walk at a much faster pace than regular people and don't even realise it.


5. You can see world class gigs, comedy shows, musicals and theatre productions every night of the week (if you so wish).
Since moving to London I have seen dozens of West End shows, free filmings of popular TV shows, world tours of bands who only stop in London and let's not forget The Olympics, all on my own doorstep.

6. The weather is much warmer in London than the majority of the UK.
OK so I may be making a massive assumption here, but based on living in Leeds and Leicester, London is far sunnier and less windy and rainy. Summer here is hot.


7. My flat. The photo above is sunset from my bedroom window.
Doesn't look like you'd imagine a London view to look like, huh? That's because there's no 'typical' London, and every single area feels like a town and community in its own right.

8. You're never more than fifteen minutes' walk away from a park.
A lot of people think London is a concrete jungle and devoid of all life and greenery - you couldn't be more wrong. Not even including the incredible Royal Parks, there are hundreds of hidden gems even in the deepest depths of the City (Lincoln's Inn and Grey's Inn will always hold a special place in my heart).


9. You'll find quirky little pieces of art, like the one above, in the places you least expect them.
There's no denying that London is home to thousands of creative-types, which means there's something special hidden around almost every corner. You've just got to remember to look.

10. You can feel completely happy and fulfilled even when you're on your own.
I moved to London three years ago when I was a broken girl and recovering from the hardest year of my life and a gut wrenchingly traumatic break up. Spending time on my own in London helped to piece me back together by making me happy in my own company. Whether it was on the tube late at night listening to The XX, or walking home from the supermarket across Finsbury Park with nothing but Pet Sounds for company, London made me the person I am today and boy am I glad to have found myself.
xx


Follow via: Bloglovin  Bloggers   Twitter   Facebook   She Said Beauty

8 comments:

  1. Loved this post, as I'm thinking of moving to London soon and so excited at the prospect. I think everyone needs to experience London life at some point, and I love the idea of never running out of things to do or new places to discover. Whenever I go to London I never want to leave!
    Mel x

    melswallofmirrors.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel :) it's a really wonderful place to live, just for me isn't somewhere I want to be indefinitely. I agree though there are so many exciting new things to do and see!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I really love London, and some people that I know just can't understand why!
    I mean I've only visited 5 times in my life (I live 4 hours away!) but each time has given great memories. I would love to live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might happen for you one day, you never know :)
      xx

      Delete
  3. I just love London and you are so right about there being no 'typical' London. I just moved back from living in Paris for a year and it's crazy how everywhere I went was so typically Paris! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) glad you agree! Wow Paris, that's pretty awesome. It's quite a small place though so I can see why you felt like that.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Oh I can't wait to move to London in September, and reading this has made me even more excited.

    Lovely blog

    Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah :-) I hope you have a great time when you move down!
      xx

      Delete